Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Nose Kisses

My wife asked me recently what my New Year's Resolutions for this year would be. I thought for a moment, then I said, "My resolution is to make no New Year's resolutions." She laughed and answered, "Why did I know you would say that?"

But what does it mean when your list of New Year's Resolutions is the same year after year? At what point does it cross over from being a list of hopeful resolutions to being a list of missed opportunities? Who needs to start off a year like that?

Still, I'll say this: I can't wait to close the door on 2008. I'm sick of the headlines. I'm battered by the worry and heartache that has settled into some households as they watch their carefully tended finances blown apart. I'm frustrated by teenagers and their half-formed brains. And I'm exhausted by the endless struggle to stay upright and pushing ahead in the face of mammoth uncertainty. I would like to be clever, but here is the simple truth: I'm staggering across the finish line this year.

And yet ... just as I was typing this, my 3-year-old ran into the room with his plastic camera. 

"I want to take a picture of your cute face while you're typing on the computer," he said. 

So I grinned and he said "Click!"

Then I kissed his nose and he said, "Did you just kiss my nose?" 

Then he kissed my nose.

So maybe I take it back. Maybe I will make a resolution this year: more nose kisses.

5 comments:

Mark Terry said...

A rather open-ended resolution, don't you think? Focus, man! Three to five nose kisses per day! That's the ticket!

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwww that's so cute! OMG your kid is so cute! hahahahahahaha.

And I agree with Mark, you need a solid nose kiss number goal.

Erica Orloff said...

Hey JVZ:
I am so stressed right now, I haven't been sleeping (sick kids). Finances are a shambles. Exhausting clients. Manuscripts I need to tend to, but by the time I get to them, I'm passing out at my desk from exhaustion. I am SO ready to close the book on 2008!!!!!!

More nose kisses!
E

Spy Scribbler said...

"Still, I'll say this: I can't wait to close the door on 2008. I'm sick of the headlines. I'm battered by the worry and heartache that has settled into some households as they watch their carefully tended finances blown apart. I'm frustrated by teenagers and their half-formed brains. And I'm exhausted by the endless struggle to stay upright and pushing ahead in the face of mammoth uncertainty. I would like to be clever, but here is the simple truth: I'm staggering across the finish line this year."

Oh my god, I can add a few worries to that, even, but that's EXACTLY how I feel. Except I'm having to work REALLY hard to have hope that 2009 is going to be better. I have hopes for 2010, but I fear 2009 is going to be another one I'm pushing through.

Jon VanZile said...

Spy,

I know what you mean about working really hard ...

As for a solid goal of nose kisses, lately the little guy's nose has been covered with frosting and syrup (he's been getting spoiled silly by family), so we're down to nothing.