Friday, July 31, 2009

Another Month, Another Prompt

Happy Friday!

I've had very little time to blog lately -- I'm racing against end-of-the-month deadlines, and in my spare time, it seems I'm rebuilding our entire house from the ground up. So far this summer, we've repainted the whole interior, refinished all our floors, rebuilt fascia and soffits, replaced the hot water heater, screwed up our plumbing, and landscaped most of the backyard. Next up: power wash and paint the roof. Then relay the stone path in the front yard.

Egad. Just reading the list is boring.

This means that all of my wonderful writing thoughts have been vanishing into the ether like so many little burps. Please excuse me.

But I haven't forgotten: Monday is the first Monday of the new month, so I'm going to post the August story prompt. Rules are the same as last time, except I'll start taking and posting stories the following Monday if anybody is ready. If you're new to this, here it is in a nutshell: I post a prompt. You write a short story of 1,000 words or less. I post it. People comment.

See? Simple.

Last time, I was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the writing and the different directions everybody went -- yet there were common themes among many of the stories. And I got a new character out of it who will almost definitely turn up in a book at some point. So, I know there were a few lurkers out there ... if you want to write this time around, I'd love to post it.

Have a good weekend, and check back Monday for the August prompt.

3 comments:

Melanie Hooyenga said...

You scared me -- I thought you were giving us the prompt today. I don't know why, exactly, that scared me, but I'm playing catch-up and don't want to add NEW things to my list today.

Have a great weekend. I chuckled over the plumbing comment -- I hope it's straightened out.

Jon VanZile said...

Melanie,

Thanks ... the plumbing problem was 1) totally my fault and 2) funnier seeming now than it was at the actual moment of explosion.

Have a good weekend and see you Monday.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.handy-spionage.com/]mobilspion[/url]